Living with ulcerative colitis (UC) isn’t easy. A quick trip
to the store or an afternoon outing can quickly turn into a nightmare. Take
control of your UC with these six life hacks.
1. Sip on bone broth. This nutrient-packed liquid,
made from animal bones roasted and simmered with veggies, can boost your immune
system and soothe your stomach ailments. Make a big batch and freeze the
leftovers for a quick energy boost.
2. Ease cramps and intestinal pains by soaking in a
warm bath. Turn on some calming tunes, light a fragrant candle, and add a
scoopful of Epsom salts to the water to really relax.
3. Wear your pajamas or workout pants when you have
to go to the emergency department. Loose-fitting clothing can help relieve
stomach pains. And being comfortable can also help you feel more relaxed,
helping you get back to remission sooner.
4. Buy an inverter for your car and take your
heating pad “to-go.” Heat can be a soothing solution to cramps and can reduce
flare-up symptoms. And whether you’re just running errands or going on a longer
road trip, a heating pad can provide speedy comfort.
5. Keep a spare set of clothes and extra medication
at your office and in your car. Flare-ups are unpredictable, but planning ahead
means you’ll always be ready.
6. Skip the cereal and eat eggs. Eggs are high in
protein and iron, which can help fight fatigue after a flare-up. Scrambled,
poached, or hardboiled are all excellent, easily digestible, choices.