Quinoa is high in protein and fiber and really stays with you. The fresh mint imparts a fresh flavor but this refreshing salad is also delicious without it. Look for quinoa in the health food or specialty food section of your supermarket.
Makes 4 servings
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 4 plum tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh parsley
- ½ small purple onion, finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint (optional)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan. Add quinoa. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; uncover. Fluff with a fork.
Place quinoa, tomatoes and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together lemon juice and next 3 ingredients. Drizzle over quinoa mixture, tossing to coat.
- 2 Carbohydrate
- 1 Vegetable
- 1 Fat
Calories: 259; Calories from Fat: 87; Total Fat: 10 g; Saturated Fat: 1.3 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 274 mg; Total Carbohydrate: 38 g; Dietary Fiber: 5.3 g; Sugars: 3 g; Protein: 7.7 g