Makes 4 servings
- 4 medium-size red bell peppers
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian (flat leaf) parsley
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 (8.8-ounce) package microwaveable whole grain brown rice (such as Uncle Ben's)
- 2 cups bottled pasta sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago or Pecornino Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
Cut tops off bell peppers; reserve tops. Discard seeds and membranes. Place peppers, cut sides down, in a baking dish; cover with plastic wrap. Microwave at high 2 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender. Cool.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat coated with cooking spray. Add beef and next 5 ingredients; cook 5 minutes or until beef is lightly browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from heat. Stir in rice, 1/2 cup pasta sauce, and cheese.
Place remaining 1 1/2 cups pasta sauce and wine in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Spoon about 3/4 to 1 cup beef mixture into each pepper. Place peppers, facing up, in a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray; Pour wine mixture over peppers. Cover with foil.
Bake at 450° for 20 minutes. Uncover, and bake 5 more minutes or until lightly browned. Serve peppers with sauce. Garnish with pepper tops.
- 2 Very Lean Meat
- 1 Lean Meat
- 1 Carbohydrate
- 5 Vegetable
- 1 Fat
Calories: 316; Calories from Fat: 74; Total Fat: 8 g; Saturated Fat: 3.8 g; Cholesterol: 58 mg; Sodium: 698 mg; Total Carbohydrate: 35 g; Dietary Fiber: 7.6 g; Sugars: 14 g; Protein: 25 g