After a stroke, there are several medical professionals who may oversee your treatment and rehabilitation. Here are some people you may want to include on your team.


A neurologist is a doctor that specializes in disorders of the nervous system, including the brain. You may or may not consult with a neurologist during emergency care, but you will most certainly see one during the course of your treatment afterwards.


Physiatry, better known as physical rehabilitation, is a branch of medicine that focuses on using physical means to treat conditions. As a stroke typically leads to new physical limitations, a person who suffers a stroke will very often have to see a physical therapist to help improve various physical difficulties, from pain management to mobility issues.

Dietitian or Nutritionist

A dietician can be especially helpful for people who suffered an ischemic stroke, as unhealthy cholesterol levels could lead to a higher risk of another stroke. A dietician or nutritionist can create a diet plan that will help lower cholesterol, as well as help keep other stroke risk factors—such as diabetes or heart disease—under control.

Various Therapists

Depending on the damage the stroke caused, you may need to see an occupational therapist to help with work struggles or a speech therapist to aid in voice difficulties. A psychologist or psychiatrist can also help with emotional and relationship issues affected by the stroke.