Primary Care Physician

If you have any risk factors of osteoporosis or have experienced a fracture, you should make an appointment with your primary healthcare provider, such as an internist or family medicine practitioner.

If your primary care provider determines that you do in fact have osteoporosis, he or she will help you develop a plan of care to manage the disease. The plan will most likely include prescription medication and lifestyle changes to help control or slow down bone loss.


An orthopedist (or orthopedic surgeon) is a doctor who specializes in treating the musculoskeletal system—including fractures caused by osteoporosis—by using surgical and nonsurgical methods.


A rheumatologist is a physician who specializes in treating health conditions that affect the joints, bones, tendons, and muscle.


Geriatrician is a doctor who specializes in geriatric medicine—a practice that is focused on helping to prevent and treat health problems in elderly people. Practitioners of geriatric medicine are primary care physicians who are board-certified in internal or family medicine and who received additional training in geriatric medicine.