- The New Beverly Hills Diet plan involves eating the right foods at the right time.
- The diet includes all of the food groups, and promotes the benefits of eating fruits and vegetables.
- Food combining is a method of weight loss. However, exercise and a balanced diet are also necessary for maintaining a healthy weight and lifestyle.
“The New Beverly Hills Diet” is an updated version of the original “The Beverly Hills Diet,” which was published in 1981. The plan involves eating the right foods at the right time while paying particular attention to what foods you are eating together.
According to Judy Mazel, the creator and author, it isn't food that causes weight gain. Rather, she writes, the foods that are inefficiently digested are to blame for expanding waistlines.
Mazel claims that followers of her plan can expect to see a 10- to 15-pound weight loss during the diet's 35-day initiation phase. She believes that it's the conscious combining of foods that will lead to easy digestion and weight loss.
The book explains the differences between the food groups. Fruits are essentially self-digesting, while carbohydrates can take up to three hours and proteins can take more than 10 hours to fully digest. Following The New Beverly Hills Diet, Mazel believes, will speed up digestion and encourage weight loss.
The New Beverly Hills Diet includes all of the food groups, and promotes the benefits of eating fruits and vegetables. There is no need for calorie counting or portion control, and Mazel has included an easy-to-follow 35-day meal plan and recipes.
However, Mazel's theory that weight loss is only achieved by conscious food combinations, rather than by exercising and eating healthy foods is questionable.
- Proteins should be eaten with other proteins, carbohydrates with other carbohydrates, and fruits should be eaten alone.
- Start the day with fruit and eat as much of that fruit as you'd like. However, wait at least an hour before switching to another fruit, and two hours before eating any carbohydrates, fats, or protein. Once you eat something other than fruit, don't have any fruit for the remainder of the day.
- Once you have eaten protein, 80 percent of what you eat for the remainder of the day must be protein.
- Other than fruit juice and wine, most beverages fall in the carbohydrate category. Champagne is neutral and can be consumed with anything.
The 35-day initiation period includes many days where dieters are advised to only eat fruit, resulting in very low-calorie intake and a lack of vital nutrients. And dieters are required to keep track of what foods they have eaten and when, which may be confusing and difficult to follow.
Conscious combining of foods as a method of healthy weight loss is not scientifically proven and may be difficult to maintain long term.
The New Beverly Hills Diet offers a more balanced approach to weight loss than its original version, but Mazel's conscious combination meal plans are not a nutritious, long-term solution to maintaining a healthy weight.
Food combining as a method of weight loss is not scientifically proven, and is difficult to maintain. Furthermore, without exercise and a balanced, nutritious diet, a healthy weight and lifestyle isn't achievable.