Insect Sting Allergy Doctors

Written by the Healthline Editorial Staff | Published on July 23, 2014
Medically Reviewed by George Krucik, MD, MBA on July 23, 2014

Doctors Who Treat Insect Sting Allergy

If you have had an allergic reaction to an insect sting, you may want to visit your doctor to discuss your allergy and what should be done about it. If you have a severe or anaphylactic reaction, you need to seek emergency medical care.

Primary Care Physician

Primary Care Physician

If you are concerned about an allergic reaction you have had, consult your family doctor or primary care physician. They will examine you and review your health history. If it is advisable, you will be referred to an allergist.

Emergency Medical Response Team

Seek immediate medical attention for any significant reaction to a sting. Severe reactions require a prompt visit to the closest doctor or hospital. These professionals will treat your symptoms and advise you regarding the steps you should take to avoid such a reaction in the future.


An allergist is a pediatrician or internist who has had at least two years of extra training in the diagnosis and treatment of allergies.

The allergist will perform tests to determine exactly what you are allergic to. These might include a skin-prick test, intradermal test, ELISA or RAST test.

An allergist may suggest allergy shots to prevent future reactions. This process is known as desensitization.

He or she may prescribe an epinephrine kit for you to carry in case of future insect stings.

Preparing to See the Allergist

To provide you with the best treatment, your allergist will need some information. Having some things written down ahead of time will ensure that you give the correct answers.

Questions the Allergist May Ask You

  • When were you stung?
  • Where were you stung?
  • What were your symptoms?
  • How severe were your symptoms?
  • Have you had an allergic reaction to an insect sting before this?
  • Do you have other allergies?
  • Does anyone in your family have allergies?
  • Has anyone in your family ever had an anaphylactic reaction?
  • What other medical conditions do you have?
  • What medications do you take?

Questions You Might Ask the Allergist

  • What do I do if I get stung again?
  • Should I carry an epinephrine kit?
  • Do you recommend allergy shots?

Any additional questions you have should be added to this list. If questions arise during your visit, or if you don’t understand something, don’t be afraid to ask. It is part of your doctor’s job to make sure all of your questions are answered.

Was this article helpful? Yes No

Thank you.

Your message has been sent.

We're sorry, an error occurred.

We are unable to collect your feedback at this time. However, your feedback is important to us. Please try again later.

Show Sources

Trending Now

Common Asthma Triggers and How to Avoid Them
Common Asthma Triggers and How to Avoid Them
Learn about some of the most common triggers for asthma, as well as measures you can take to minimize your risk of exposure, symptoms, and flares.
Migraine vs. Chronic Migraine: What Are the Differences?
Migraine vs. Chronic Migraine: What Are the Differences?
There is not just one type of migraine. Chronic migraine is one subtype of migraine. Understand what sets these two conditions apart.
Famous Athletes with Asthma
Famous Athletes with Asthma
Asthma shouldn’t be a barrier to staying active and fit. Learn about famous athletes who didn’t let asthma stop them from achieving their goals.
How to Evaluate Your Multiple Sclerosis Treatment Plan
How to Evaluate Your Multiple Sclerosis Treatment Plan
Every multiple sclerosis (MS) patient is different, and no single treatment plan works for everyone. Learn more about what to consider when evaluating your MS treatment plan.
The Best Multiple Sclerosis iPhone and Android Apps of the Year
The Best Multiple Sclerosis iPhone and Android Apps of the Year
These best multiple sclerosis apps provide helpful information and tools to keep track of your symptoms, including medication reminders.