What is Hypogonadism?
Hypogonadism occurs when your sex glands produce little or no sex hormones. The sex glands, also called >gonadstesticle development, and pubic hair growth. Sex hormones also play a role in menstrual cycles and sperm production.
Hypogonadism may also be called gonad deficiency. In males, it may be called low serum testosterone or andropause.
Most cases of this disorder can be successfully treated. p>>9 Warning Signs of Low Testosterone
Types of Hypogonadism
There are two types of hypogonadism: primary and central hypogonadism.
Primary hypogonadism means that you do not have enough sex hormones in your body due to a problem in the gonads. The gonads are still receiving the message to produce hormooes frommte brain, but are not able to produce them.
In central hypogonadism, the problem lies in the brain. Here the hypothalamus and pituitary gland—which control the gonads—are not working properly.
What are the Causes of Hypogonadism? id="TOC_TITLE_3" class="content_body"> <
Causes of primary hypogonadism include:
- autoimmune disorders, such as Addison’s disease and hypoparathyroidism>surgery on the sex organs
Central hypogonadism may be caused by:
- genetic disorders, such as Kallmann syndrome
- > ini>infections, including HIV and AIDS
- pituitary disorders
- inflammatory diseases, including sarcoidosis, tuberculosis, and histiocytosis li>obesityrapid weight loss
- nutritional deficiencies lili>use of sterds o or opiates
- brain surgery
- radiation exposure
- a tumor in or near the pituitary gland
a name="Symptoms"><What are the Symptoms of Hypogonadism? > < p>Symptoms that may affect females include:<y affect ct females include:
- no menstruation
- slow or absent breast growth> >hot flashes
- loss of body hair
- low sex drive
- milky discharge from the breasts /ul> >Symptoms that may affect malesmales include:nclude:>
- loss of body hair
- muscle loss
- breast growth i>reduced growth of penis and testicleserectile dysfunction
- hot flashes
- lo> >difficulty concentratatatingtii/li>