Makes 6 servings
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 (15-ounce) cans reduced-sodium chickpeas
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- 4 large tomatoes, skin and seeds removed, diced
- 1 pound baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Fresh cilantro sprigs for garnish
In a large Dutch oven or stock pot sprayed with cooking spray, cook onions over medium-high heat until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garam masala, ginger, and turmeric and sauté 1 minute or until fragrant. Add chickpeas and next 3 ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Place half the soup in a blender or food processor and carefully puree until smooth. Return to pot and bring back to a simmer.
Serve with sprigs of cilantro, if desired.
Serving size: 2 cups
Calories: 334; Total fat: 3.7 g; Saturated fat: 0.7 g; Cholesterol: 5 mg; Sodium: 658 mg; Potassium: 864 mg; Carbohydrate: 63 g; Protein: 13 g