Primary Care Physician

A primary healthcare provider—an internist or family practice physician—is usually the primary doctor that treats gout. He or she can perform uric acid blood tests and joint aspirations and prescribe medications to treat the disease.


A rheumatologist is a physician with special training in treating diseases of the joints and connective tissues. If your case of gout is especially severe or involves joint damage, a rheumatologist can provide more specialized care.

Find an internist or a rheumatologist near you.