Erectile Dysfunction Doctors

Written by the Healthline Editorial Team | Published on July 22, 2014
Medically Reviewed by Kenneth R. Hirsch, MD on July 22, 2014

Doctors Who Treat Erectile Dysfunction

Erectile dysfunction (ED) can be caused by physical problems, psychological factors, or a combination of both.

Because ED is a sexual health problem, many men feel uncomfortable or embarrassed talking about their condition. However, it is important to get past any discomfort and discuss your ED with your doctor. There are numerous treatment options for ED. With help, most men will be able to find a treatment that will work for them.

Even when ED doesn’t start with psychological problems, it can cause them. Therefore, if you have ED, you may want to talk to a mental health professional. A sex therapist can also help you deal with the emotional and relationship problems that can occur with ED. However, the best place to start is with a visit to your primary care physician.

Specialists for Erectile Dysfunction

Your primary care provider (PCP) should probably be your first stop when looking for an ED diagnosis. There are many potential causes for ED. To determine the cause of ED, you may need a comprehensive physical examination.

The initial investigation into ED is usually straightforward. Then, if more information is needed, your doctor can refer you to specialists.


Urologists specialize in urinary and reproductive health. They can help diagnose any abnormalities in your reproductive system.


Endocrinologists are hormone specialists. Blood tests can help determine if your hormone levels are abnormal. Low levels of testosterone can cause or contribute to ED.

Mental Health Professionals

A mental health professional can help determine if psychological issues are causing or contributing to your ED. In addition, a therapist can help you work through psychological issues during ED treatment.

Questions For Your Doctor

Questions Your Doctor May Ask

To help determine the cause of ED, your doctor may ask questions about your medical and sexual history. Be prepared to answer such questions as honestly as possible. Details about your past may provide important clues to the cause of your ED.

According to the Mayo Clinic, your doctor might want to know about:

  • other health problems and chronic conditions
  • other sexual problems
  • changes in sexual desire
  • whether you get erections during masturbation
  • whether you get erections while you sleep
  • problems in your sexual relationship
  • when your sexual problems started
  • how often your ED symptoms occur
  • what improves or worsens your ED symptoms
  • any anxiety, depression, or stress in your life
  • whether you have been diagnosed with any mental health problems
  • all medications you take
  • any herbal medications or supplements you use
  • how much alcohol you drink
  • how much you smoke cigarettes
  • any use of illicit drugs

Questions to Ask Your Doctor

You should also be prepared to ask your doctor important questions about your ED and its treatment. The Mayo Clinic suggests asking your doctor the following questions:

  • What do you think is causing my erection problems?
  • What else could be causing my ED?
  • What kinds of tests do I need?
  • Do you think my ED is temporary, or will it last a long time?
  • How do you think I should treat my ED
  • What are other options for treatment?
  • Is my ED most likely temporary or chronic?
  • How will ED treatment affect my other health conditions, and vice versa?
  • Are there any foods, drugs, or behaviors I need to avoid?
  • Do you think I need to see a specialist? 
Was this article helpful? Yes No

Send us your feedback

Thank you.

Your message has been sent.

We're sorry, an error occurred.

We are unable to collect your feedback at this time. However, your feedback is important to us. Please try again later.

Show Sources

Trending Now

Common Asthma Triggers and How to Avoid Them
Common Asthma Triggers and How to Avoid Them
Learn about some of the most common triggers for asthma, as well as measures you can take to minimize your risk of exposure, symptoms, and flares.
Easy Ways to Conceal an Epinephrine Shot
Easy Ways to Conceal an Epinephrine Shot
Learn how to discreetly carry your epinephrine autoinjectors safely and discreetly. It’s easier than you think to keep your shots on hand when you’re on the go.
Beyond Back Pain: 5 Warning Signs of Ankylosing Spondylitis
Beyond Back Pain: 5 Warning Signs of Ankylosing Spondylitis
There are a number of potential causes of back pain, but one you might not know about is ankylosing spondylitis (AS). Find out five warning signs of AS in this slideshow.
Timeline of an Anaphylactic Reaction
Timeline of an Anaphylactic Reaction
From first exposure to life-threatening complications, learn how quickly an allergy attack can escalate and why it can become life threatening.
Understanding the Progression of Ankylosing Spondylitis
Understanding the Progression of Ankylosing Spondylitis
One serious potential cause of back pain is ankylosing spondylitis. Get an understanding of what this condition is, how it progresses, and potential complications in this slideshow.

Want information? Want to take action?
We want to help.

Take steps toward a healthier life, through the power of information. Sign up for Healthline's men’s health newsletter and you'll receive:
  • the latest news and updates from
  • information on symptoms and vital tests
    you may need
  • recipes, tips, and advice on how to stay
    active, happy, and healthy

Thanks very much! You’ll receive a confirmation email soon!