There are several types of specialists who could be involved with diagnosing or treating epilepsy.

Family Physician

At the first onset of symptoms, you'll typically see your regular physician. He or she will often do a few routine tests before referring you to a specialist. For children, a pediatrician will often make this referral.  


An internist is a doctor who specializes in internal medicine. Some have more experience with treating epilepsy and may be your primary care physician for your treatment.


A neurologist is a physician who specializes in neurological disorder. Care with a neurologist begins with a comprehensive medical history and examinations focusing on the nervous system—the brain, spine, and nerves. They will most likely perform specializes tests, such as a CAT scan, MRI, or ultrasound.

Learn more about epilepsy tests


An epileptologist is a neurologist that specializes is epilepsy. He or she will have gone through at least two years of specialized training. Not everyone with epilepsy needs to see an epileptologist, but more difficult cases may need it.


A neurosurgeon is a surgeon who specializes in surgery involving the nervous system. You may only see a neurosurgeon if surgery on the brain is an option to help treat epilepsy.