Drug Allergy Doctors

Written by the Healthline Editorial Team | Published on July 15, 2014
Medically Reviewed by Kenneth R. Hirsch, MD on July 15, 2014

Doctors Who Treat Drug Allergies

Any time you have a reaction to a prescription drug— even if you have taken the drug before with no adverse symptoms—you should immediately consult with the doctor who prescribed it. If this doctor believes your reaction might be allergy, they may refer you to an allergist for further evaluation and treatment.

Anaphylaxis, or a severe allergic reaction, is a life-threatening emergency. If you experience breathing difficulty, heart palpitations, severe swelling, dizziness, or fainting, call emergency services immediately, or have a friend or family member drive you to the nearest emergency room. 


An allergist is a physician who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of allergic diseases. An allergist is specially trained to help you identify the underlying cause of allergies. They can also prescribe treatment to manage or prevent symptoms.

An allergist can perform tests, if necessary, to determine whether your reaction is allergy-related and, if so, to pinpoint its cause.

Determining exactly what is causing an allergic reaction can sometimes be a long and painstaking task. Be sure to give your doctor detailed information about your symptoms, how long you have had them, and if you have recently taken any new medications. This information can help your doctor determine the underlying cause of your reaction, as well as the best treatment. If your reaction is obviously drug-related, the process will be easier.

Preparing to See the Allergist

To get the most from your visit with the allergist, you can do the following:

  • Bring a list of all your symptoms and when they began.
  • Make a list of all treatments you have tried and whether they were successful.
  • Bring a list of all medications and supplements you were using when you had the reaction. Include topical medications you put on your skin.
  • Tell the doctor about any conditions you have, including other allergies.

Meeting With the Allergist

It is important to prepare questions to ask the allergist, and to be prepared for questions that they will ask about your symptoms.

Questions to Ask the Allergist

To make sure you remember all the questions you want to ask your allergist, it is helpful to write them down. The following are some questions you might want to ask. Any others you have should be added to this list.

  • Could my reaction be something other than allergy?
  • Will I always have a negative reaction to this drug, or was this a onetime thing?
  • What other drugs will I need to avoid?
  • What if I react to the medication you are prescribing to treat the symptoms?
  • What tests do you recommend?
  • Are there any risks involved in allergy testing?
  • Will my allergy go away over time?

Questions the Allergist Will Ask You

Your allergist will need complete information to make an accurate diagnosis. Be prepared to answer the following questions:

  • When did your symptoms start?
  • Do you have these symptoms only after taking this particular drug?
  • Do you have these symptoms every time you take this drug?
  • How severe are your symptoms?
  • Have you ever had a reaction to any other drug? If so, what drug was it?
  • Do you have any other allergies?
  • What else are you taking (medications, vitamins, supplements, herbs)?
  • Do you have any other medical conditions? If so, what are they?
Was this article helpful? Yes No

Send us your feedback

Thank you.

Your message has been sent.

We're sorry, an error occurred.

We are unable to collect your feedback at this time. However, your feedback is important to us. Please try again later.

Show Sources

Trending Now

Understanding the Progression of Ankylosing Spondylitis
Understanding the Progression of Ankylosing Spondylitis
One serious potential cause of back pain is ankylosing spondylitis. Get an understanding of what this condition is, how it progresses, and potential complications in this slideshow.
Easy Ways to Conceal an Epinephrine Shot
Easy Ways to Conceal an Epinephrine Shot
Learn how to discreetly carry your epinephrine autoinjectors safely and discreetly. It’s easier than you think to keep your shots on hand when you’re on the go.
Beyond Back Pain: 5 Warning Signs of Ankylosing Spondylitis
Beyond Back Pain: 5 Warning Signs of Ankylosing Spondylitis
There are a number of potential causes of back pain, but one you might not know about is ankylosing spondylitis (AS). Find out five warning signs of AS in this slideshow.
Famous Athletes with Asthma
Famous Athletes with Asthma
Asthma shouldn’t be a barrier to staying active and fit. Learn about famous athletes who didn’t let asthma stop them from achieving their goals.
Common Asthma Triggers and How to Avoid Them
Common Asthma Triggers and How to Avoid Them
Learn about some of the most common triggers for asthma, as well as measures you can take to minimize your risk of exposure, symptoms, and flares.

Want information? Want to take action?
We want to help.

Take steps toward a healthier life, through the power of information. Sign up for Healthline's allergies newsletter and you'll receive:
  • the latest news updates in research and
    treatment options
  • tips on how to manage your food, seasonal,
    bug, or drug allergy symptoms
  • recipes for delicious allergen-free snacks,
    meals, and desserts

Thanks very much! You’ll receive a confirmation email soon!