Internist/Family Practice Physician

If you are experiencing prostate cancer symptoms or have a high risk of prostate cancer, your primary healthcare provider might perform initial screening tests—a prostate-specific antigen (PSA) blood test or a digital rectal exam (DRE). 


A urologist is a physician with special training in diseases of the urinary tract and the male reproductive system. Once a primary healthcare provider has identified prostate problems, a urologist can perform further tests, including biopsies, to diagnose prostate cancer. Many urologists also perform prostate surgery.


An oncologist is a physician who specializes in diagnosing and treating cancer. Radiation oncologists focus primarily on radiation therapy, medical oncologists on chemotherapy, and surgical oncologists on surgery to remove tumors.