Internist/Family Practice Physician

If you are experiencing symptoms of OAB, you should make an appointment with your primary healthcare provider. He or she can begin the diagnostic process and may refer you to a specialist.


Urologists are physicians who specialize in the urinary tract and male reproductive organs. He or she is trained in general surgery and clinical urology. Urologists are required to apply for certification by the American Board of Urology and pass a two-part examination. Not only are they educated in urinary tract conditions but also in male infertility, renal transplants, erectile dysfunction, and neurology.


A nephrologist is a physician who specializes in the study and examination of kidney diseases. While in training, he or she is required to have two years of internal medicine patient contact. A nephrologist must also be accredited by the American Board of Internal Medicine. A primary care physician may refer you to a nephrologist to help you develop good nutrition guide to manage OAB symptoms. A nephrologist will also evaluate your kidneys to make sure they are functioning properly in breaking down fluids for the bladder. Nephrologists also have expertise in hypertension, fluid/acid-based physiology, and chronic renal failure.


A gynecologist is a specialist in dealing with the female reproduction system. Because of the close connection between the female reproduction organs and the urinary tract, primary care physicians may refer women with OAB to a gynecologist. A gynecologist with additional training that includes disorders of the urinary tract is known as a urogynecologist.