Doctors for Depression

Written by the Healthline Editorial Team | Published on September 11, 2014
Medically Reviewed by Brenda B. Spriggs, MD, MBA on September 11, 2014

There are several types of doctors who can treat depression. Learn the different kinds to ensure you're getting complete care for your depression.

Getting Treatment for Depression

If you are experiencing symptoms of depression that you can’t manage on your own, or that don’t seem to be improving with lifestyle changes, make an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can check for any underlying physical problems that may be causing your symptoms. At this appointment, your doctor can also do some basic screening for depression. Here are a few questions you should be prepared to answer:

  • How long have you had your symptoms? Is it unusual for you to have low moods?
  • Have you experienced any recent personal losses or changes in your life?
  • Have your loved ones noticed any changes in you?
  • Have your sleeping patterns changed? Your appetite?
  • Do you no longer enjoy certain activities the way you used to?
  • Does depression run in your family?

Before your appointment, make a list of your own questions to ask your doctor. Here are a few provided by the Mayo Clinic to help you get started:

  • Is depression the most likely cause of my symptoms?
  • Other than the most likely cause, what are other possible causes for my symptoms or condition?
  • What kinds of tests will I need?
  • What treatment is likely to work best for me?
  • What are the alternatives to the primary approach that you’re suggesting?
  • I have these other health conditions. How can I best manage them together?

Your doctor may prescribe antidepressant medication for you. After an initial assessment, your doctor may also refer you to one of the following specialists for further care:


Psychiatrists are licensed physicians who treat mental health conditions. Once they finish medical school, they have four more years of training in psychiatry. They specialize in mental health and emotional problems. A psychiatrist’s special training can help you talk through any emotional issues that may be contributing to your condition. Psychiatrists can also prescribe medication. When used in combination with medication, talk therapy has proven very effective in treating clinical depression.


Psychologists are not medical doctors and cannot write prescriptions. However, they do specialize in talk therapy. They hold advanced degrees in the science of behavior, thoughts, and emotions. After getting their degrees, they must go through specialized training. They must also be licensed and certified before treating patients. They help patients learn how to cope with mental health problems and day-to-day life issues in a healthy way.

Social Workers

Social workers need a master’s degree in order to provide talk therapy. They are trained to help individuals with emotional situations. Although social workers have less schooling than psychologists, they can be just as helpful. 

Was this article helpful? Yes No

Thank you.

Your message has been sent.

We're sorry, an error occurred.

We are unable to collect your feedback at this time. However, your feedback is important to us. Please try again later.

Show Sources

Read This Next

10 Food Tips to Help Ease the Winter Blues
10 Food Tips to Help Ease the Winter Blues
Want to supplement your seasonal depression treatment? Start with your plate. Learn more by clicking your way through this slideshow.
The Best Depression iPhone & Android Apps of the Year
The Best Depression iPhone & Android Apps of the Year
These best depression apps can't replace professional care, but they could be a helpful part of your treatment and provide a more positive outlook on life.
The Best Depression Health Blogs of the Year
The Best Depression Health Blogs of the Year
These brave bloggers have wrestled with chronic depression, tackled the stigma, and shared their experiences with the world. Be inspired and find hope.
Beating Depression Naturally
Beating Depression Naturally
Exercise, mind-body therapies, and herbal supplements all have the power to treat depression. Find out if it's right for you.
How Do I Cope with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
How Do I Cope with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
Depression can worsen rheumatoid arthritis symptoms. Learn tips for dealing with these conditions by getting good sleep and exercise, eating well, and more.