Makes 4 servings
To shred Havarti cheese with ease, place in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes. Spray the cheese grater with cooking spray before shredding cheese. If you don’t tolerate dairy cheese at all, choose your favorite soy cheese or omit the cheese completely.
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) shredded Havarti cheese
- Molasses-Balsamic Ketchup
- 4 hamburger buns, 4 lettuce leaves, 8 tomato slices
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat; add onions and ¼ teaspoon pepper; cook 30 minutes or until golden brown, stirring often. Set aside.
Combine beef, remaining ½ teaspoon pepper, and salt. Divide into 8 thin, flat equal size patties. Top 4 patties evenly with cheese; place 1 tablespoons onion mixture evenly over cheese, leaving a ¼-inch border. Top with remaining 4 patties, pinching edges to seal in cheese and onion mixture. Gently flatten patties. Chill 30 minutes.
Cook burgers in a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Bake at 425° for 5 minutes or to desired degree of doneness.
Spread Molasses-Balsamic Ketchup evenly over cut sides of hamburger buns; top with burgers, remaining caramelized onions, lettuce, and tomatoes.
Per serving (including 2 tbsp ketchup): Calories: 418; Carbohydrate: 30g; Fat: 18.6g; Saturated Fat: 10.7g; Cholesterol: 93mg; Protein: 31g; Fiber: 2.6g; Sodium: 796mg; Calcium: 276mg.
- ½ cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Place all ingredients in a small saucepan; cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring often.