If you’re sensitive to spicy food, omit the ground red pepper. This satisfying, nutritionally-packed soup freezes very well.
Makes 4 servings
- 8 ounces peeled carrots, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 (29-ounce) can sweet potatoes in syrup, undrained
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
Sauté carrots, onions, and ginger in butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add sweet potatoes and next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until carrots are tender. Cool slightly. Carefully pour carrot mixture into a blender (or use an immersion hand blender); process until smooth. Return to Dutch oven. Add syrup, stirring until blended.
Per serving: Calories: 342; Carbohydrate: 66g; Fat: 6.7g; Saturated Fat: 4.1g; Cholesterol: 19mg; Protein: 6g; Fiber: 7.4g; Sodium: 517mg; Calcium: 67mg.