For the treatment of Crohn’s disease, you will have several doctors, including some that specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of inflammatory bowel disease.

Primary Care Doctor

A general practitioner may coordinate care and maintain records for you. He or she may also refer you to specialists.


If your general practitioner thinks a specialist should handle your disease care, you may be referred you to a gastroenterologist. These doctors specialize in the digestive system and its disorders.

Enterostomal Therapist

This is a nurse or healthcare specialist who works specifically with colon surgery patients as they plan for and adjust to life with a colostomy. If you have this procedure, your general practitioner or gastroenterologist can recommend you to an enterostomal therapist for guidance.