Primary Care Physician

Your primary care doctor, such as an internist or general practitioner, will likely be your first line of defense against coronary artery disease (CAD). He or she will likely suggest preventive lifestyle changes, prescribe any necessary medication, coordinate general care, and maintain records for you. Your primary doctor may also refer you to any relevant specialists, such as a cardiologist.


Your primary care doctor may refer you to a cardiologist for further evaluation and treatment. A cardiologist is a specialist who cares for adults who have heart problems. A cardiologist will likely conduct a variety of diagnostic tests and procedures to determine if you do have CAD.

Other Specialists

If you need to have open-heart surgery, it will be performed by a cardiothoracic surgeon. An interventional cardiologist or cardiovascular radiologist will perform balloon angioplasty, stent placement procedures, diagnostic catheterization, and other minimally invasive procedures.

Check with academic medical centers (usually affiliated with a university) in your local area or region. They can often provide the best, most up-to-date care available, either free or on a sliding scale based on your income.