Contact Dermatitis Doctors

Written by the Healthline Editorial Team | Published on July 15, 2014
Medically Reviewed by George Krucik, MD, MBA on July 15, 2014

Doctors Who Treat Contact Dermatitis

While most cases of contact dermatitis don’t require medical help, this is not always the case. Indications that you should see your doctor include:

  • the rash is painful
  • the rash is weeping or oozing
  • the rash covers a large area of your body
  • the rash affects your eyes or face
  • you have a fever
  • the rash won’t go away

Primary Care Physician

If your rash is persistent or severe, you should see your family doctor or primary care physician.  They will examine you, discuss your medical history, and try to determine the cause of your condition. If medication is needed, they can prescribe it. If your rash doesn’t respond to standard treatments, your doctor can refer you to a specialist.



If your rash seems to be allergic contact dermatitis, your doctor may refer you to an allergist/immunologist. An allergist is a doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating allergies. If your regular doctor cannot determine the exact cause of your allergic reaction, an allergist should be able to.


Your doctor may send you to a dermatologist if you have a persistent problem with irritant contact dermatitis. A dermatologist is a doctor who specializes in treating conditions of the skin, hair, and nails.

Preparing to See Your Doctor

Your doctor needs complete information to give you the best care. Writing down a few things ahead of time will help you answer your doctor’s questions. Your doctor will want to know the following:

  • When did your symptoms start?
  • Do you know what triggered them?
  • What treatments have you tried?
  • Have you been avoiding the offending substance/activity/item?
  • Does the rash get better then worse? Or does it stay the same?
  • Do you have known allergies?
  • Does anyone in your family have allergies?
  • Have you had this before?

You will most likely have questions for your doctor as well. Writing them down will ensure that you don’t forget what you want to ask. The following are some suggestions. You can add your own to the list.

  • What do you think is causing this?
  • Do I have an allergy?
  • Will it go away?
  • Do I have to avoid the cause forever?
  • Do I need tests? Medication?
  • Will it leave a scar?
  • How can I keep this from happening again?

Coping, Support, and Resources

Contact dermatitis is usually not a major problem. However, if it is persistent or severe, it can interfere with your everyday life. The rash can be both painful and unsightly. If you are having trouble keeping your dermatitis under control, it can be helpful to talk to others who have the same problem. They can often offer both support and advice. Your doctor may be able to refer you to a support group. There are also support groups online. The following websites might be helpful:

Was this article helpful? Yes No

Thank you.

Your message has been sent.

We're sorry, an error occurred.

We are unable to collect your feedback at this time. However, your feedback is important to us. Please try again later.

Show Sources

Trending Now

Famous Athletes with Asthma
Famous Athletes with Asthma
Asthma shouldn’t be a barrier to staying active and fit. Learn about famous athletes who didn’t let asthma stop them from achieving their goals.
Migraine vs. Chronic Migraine: What Are the Differences?
Migraine vs. Chronic Migraine: What Are the Differences?
There is not just one type of migraine. Chronic migraine is one subtype of migraine. Understand what sets these two conditions apart.
Common Asthma Triggers and How to Avoid Them
Common Asthma Triggers and How to Avoid Them
Learn about some of the most common triggers for asthma, as well as measures you can take to minimize your risk of exposure, symptoms, and flares.
Timeline of an Anaphylactic Reaction
Timeline of an Anaphylactic Reaction
From first exposure to life-threatening complications, learn how quickly an allergy attack can escalate and why it can become life threatening.
The Best Multiple Sclerosis iPhone and Android Apps of the Year
The Best Multiple Sclerosis iPhone and Android Apps of the Year
These best multiple sclerosis apps provide helpful information and tools to keep track of your symptoms, including medication reminders.