HPV treatment as well as cervical cancer screening and diagnosis are usually handled by a gynecologist, a physician who specializes in diseases and conditions of the female reproductive system. If you or a loved one is found to have cervical cancer, consult a gynecologic oncologist, a cancer specialist who focuses on cancers of the female reproductive system. If a gynecologic oncologist is not available or if your cancer is at a very early stage, a gynecologist, gynecologic surgeon, or radiation oncologist may oversee your care. Check with academic medical centers (teaching hospitals) in your local area or region; they can often provide the best, most up-to-date care available, often free or on a sliding scale based on your income.

Internist/Family Care Physician

Some internal medicine physicians may be able to administer Pap smears. In addition, your internist or family care physician may be able to offer HPV vaccinations.