Internist or Family Practice Physician

If you're experiencing any of the symptoms of asthma, you should make an appointment with your primary healthcare provider—an internist, a family practice physician, or, in the case of children, a pediatrician.


A pediatrician is an internist who has completed additional training in caring for the health of children. A pediatrician will be able to diagnose and prescribe the appropriate treatment for a child suffering from asthmatic symptoms or may refer the child to a specialist.


Your primary care provider may refer you to a pulmonologist, a specialist who deals with conditions of the lung and respiratory tract. Pulmonologists complete additional training in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of lung and respiratory problems. A pulmonologist can treat asthma as well as other serious respiratory conditions such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, pneumonia, and emphysema, among others.

Allergist and Immunologist

An allergist is a pediatrician or internist who has undergone additional training in issues of the immune system. Often, asthma is the result of an inappropriate or overly intense system response to normally harmless compounds. An allergist or immunologist investigates the immune system and treats patients with immune system disorders, such as asthma.

Respiratory Therapist

While not physicians, respiratory therapists are specially trained healthcare professionals who help treat airway and breathing problems caused by asthma and other disorders. They may guide you through breathing treatments and exercises to help restore function to your respiratory system.