Anxiety can be treated by a number of professionals.

Primary Care Physician

Your primary doctor may give you an initial diagnosis, or refer you to a specialist. He or she may also give a physical examination or order tests to determine if your anxiety is a side effect of some other condition.


A psychologist can offer psychotherapy, also known as talk therapy or counseling. A psychologist can help get to the root of your anxiety and help to create behavioral changes. This type of therapy may be extra helpful for those who have endured trauma or abuse, which lead to their anxiety.


Much like a psychologist, a psychiatrist offers talk therapy. However, psychiatrists are qualified to prescribe medications to treat anxiety.


While not a doctor, a nutritionist or dietician can help with nutritional aspects of your treatment. Nutritionists help patients create a balanced food plan, while enforcing healthy eating habits that will prevent illness. 

Find an psychiatrist or a internist near you.