Aftershave Poisoning: Symptoms and What to Do
Advertisement

Aftershave Poisoning: What to Do

We pick these items based on the quality of the products, and list the pros and cons of each to help you determine which will work best for you. We partner with some of the companies that sell these products, which means Healthline may receive a portion of the revenues when you buy something using the links below.

What Is Aftershave Poisoning?

Highlights

  1. Aftershave is a lotion, gel, or liquid that you can apply to your face after shaving. It usually contains isopropyl or ethyl alcohol, which are poisonous when swallowed.
  2. Drinking aftershave can cause poisoning. Symptoms of aftershave poisoning include nausea, vomiting, dizziness, confusion, and loss of consciousness.
  3. If your child or someone else swallows aftershave or shows signs of aftershave poisoning, call 911 or Poison Control at 800-222-1222.

Aftershave is a lotion, gel, or liquid that you can apply to your face after shaving. It’s most often used by men. If swallowed, aftershave can produce harmful effects. This is known as aftershave poisoning.

Most aftershaves contain isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) or ethyl alcohol. These ingredients are poisonous when swallowed. Other ingredients vary by brand and product.

Aftershave poisoning usually occurs in small children who accidentally drink aftershave. Some people who suffer from alcohol abuse may also drink aftershave when other alcohol is unavailable to become intoxicated.

What Are the Symptoms of Aftershave Poisoning?

Symptoms

Common symptoms of aftershave poisoning include:

  • confusion
  • decreased alertness
  • muscle cramping
  • low blood sugar
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • abdominal pain
  • loss of consciousness
  • headache
  • lowered body temperature
  • low blood pressure
  • racing heartbeat
  • labored or slow breathing
  • slurred speech
  • difficulty walking
  • difficulty swallowing
  • difficulty urinating

Consuming isopropanol, a common ingredient in aftershave, can also cause:

  • lack of coordination
  • dizziness
  • diminished reflexes

Children who experience aftershave poisoning are at very high risk of developing low blood sugar. Low blood sugar in children can cause weakness, sleepiness, confusion, nausea, and irritability.

What to Do If You Think Someone Has Aftershave Poisoning

hospital

Get medical help immediately if your child shows signs of poisoning. Call 911 or take them to an emergency room. Never try to make your child vomit unless a medical professional asks you to do so.

It’s helpful to the 911 operator or poison control specialist if you can provide the type and quantity of aftershave your child drank. Bring the container of aftershave with you to the emergency room if you can. This helps the healthcare provider determine the contents of the bottle and the appropriate course of treatment.

If your child is having a seizure, roll them onto their side and make sure their airway stays clear. Call 911 or take them to an emergency room right away.

How Is Aftershave Poisoning Diagnosed?

Diagnosis

If your child begins to show signs of poisoning, seek medical treatment right away. Getting treatment as soon as possible can help prevent complications that may cause permanent impairment and disability.

When your child is admitted to the emergency department, a doctor will assess them. They will want to know your child’s age, weight, and symptoms. They will also ask what kind of aftershave your child drank, how much they drank, and when they drank it. If you’re able to bring the container of aftershave with you, it will help your child’s doctor determine how much poison they ingested.

How Is Aftershave Poisoning Treated?

Treatment

If your child is diagnosed with aftershave poisoning, a doctor or nurse will monitor their pulse, temperature, blood pressure, and breathing rate. Your child may also receive oxygen and IV fluids. Activated charcoal, dialysis, gastric lavage (stomach pumping), and laxatives are generally no longer recommended in cases of isopropyl alcohol poisoning.

What Can Be Expected in the Long-Term?

Outlook

The outcome of aftershave poisoning depends on how much aftershave is swallowed, how early the poisoning is recognized, and how soon your child receives treatment. Aftershave poisoning is rarely deadly. Less common but potentially life-threatening complications include stomach bleeding, prolonged seizures, and coma.

Once your child has been released from the hospital, rest and a clear liquid diet (such as water, broth, or juices) can help them recover.

Bathroom Baby-Proofing Tips to Prevent Aftershave Poisoning

Prevention

It’s important to store all of your health and beauty products, including aftershave, securely out of children’s reach. Don’t assume that even if your baby can reach the bottle, they can’t open in. No bottle or container top is so secure that a baby can’t open it. To baby-proof your bathroom cabinets and drawers, try a baby lock.

There are a several options available that work depending on the type of cabinet you want to secure. Magnetic locks can be mounted inside your cabinets and drawers. Adhesive latches are a cheap and less permanent way to secure cupboards, appliances, and even the toilet.

Make sure you put your aftershave and other potentially harmful products away again after using them. Don’t leave them out on a counter where they’re within your child’s reach. When the bottle is empty and you’re ready to discard it, be sure to rinse it thoroughly and throw it away safely.

If you’re traveling with small children, consider keeping your bathroom kit secure with a small bathroom bag with a lock. Just remember that your liquids may need to be separated to get through security. If your vacation takes you to someone else’s house, be sure to note where dangerous substances like aftershave are stored and ask if they have placed any childproof locks on the medicine cabinet or bottles.

Calling Poison Control

Call the doctor

The National Poison Control Center (NPCC) can provide additional information about aftershave poisoning. You can call them from anywhere in the United States at 800-222-1222. This service is free and confidential. NPCC professionals are happy to answer questions about poisoning and poisoning prevention. They are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

You Asked, We Answered

  • What should I do if I think my child has been poisoned, but I’m not sure what caused it?
  • If you suspect poisoning, it’s important to call the NPCC immediately. Notify them of all possible substances that your child could have ingested. The specialist will also want to know your child’s age and weight along with possible amount of ingestion. If your child is lethargic, not responding, vomiting, or has a seizure, call 911 immediately or go to the nearest emergency room.

    - Debra Sullivan PhD, MSN, CNE, COI

Read This Next

What Are the Signs of Early Onset Alzheimer’s Disease (AD)?
Occipital Stroke: What You Should Know
Can Eating Rice Affect My Diabetes?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement