ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
Celebrities with ADHD
ADHD on the Rise
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a common behavioral disorder. It’s most often diagnosed in childhood. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that 9.5 percent of American children ages 4 to 17 have ADHD.
However, more than half of children with ADHD continue to experience the symptoms of the disorder as adults. Today, about 8 million adults suffer from adult ADHD. Many of these adults go on to lead successful lives with healthy careers. Some even become famous.
Here’s a collection of a few of Hollywood’s most well-known faces that happen to deal with ADHD.
When he was little, ADHD made classroom work difficult for Michael Phelps. He liked to move, acted up in class, and had a hard time getting his work finished. Phelps was diagnosed with ADHD at age 9.
Medication made his symptoms better, but it was in the pool that Phelps found the ability to deal with his disorder. The schedule of practice and the soothing effects of the water helped him cope and excel.
In 2012, Phelps became the most decorated Olympian, with a record-setting 22 Olympic medals.
The Dancing with the Stars performer and professional dancer went public with her ADHD diagnosis in 2009. In an interview with ABC News, Smirnoff said she had lived her entire life full of energy and always hyper, but it wasn’t until 2007 that she had a diagnosis.
Fortunately, her career is very active, so Smirnoff is able to channel much of her energy into her dancing.
This game show host and stand-up comedian is known for his vivacious personality as well as for his disorders. Mandel has both ADHD and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). He grew up with the disorders during a time when they weren’t officially diagnosed or understood. Today, Mandel takes medication and attends therapy to help him deal with the disorders.
This home improvement guru was always full of energy as a child. Pennington was hyperactive, and he was a distraction to other children in the classroom. Doctors weren’t sure how to treat his behavioral problems at first.
Pennington told The Huffington Post in an interview that doctors gave him antihistamines to make him drowsy. He’s taken medicine from time to time, and he still sees a psychiatrist. Pennington channels the symptoms of his ADHD into his career and his hobbies.
More Celebs ADD/ADHD
The actress and singer Zooey Deschanel revealed she had ADHD on her blog, Hello Giggles.
Justin Timberlake, the multi-faceted singer and actor, revealed in an interview with Collider.com that he has both OCD and ADD.
In an interview with Larry King, the hotel heiress and socialite Paris Hilton revealed that she was diagnosed with ADHD as a child.
It’s Just a Diagnosis
These celebrities are proof that a behavioral disorder doesn’t have to be an excuse for not living a full, happy life. The key to managing the signs and symptoms of ADHD is finding a treatment plan that works and sticking with it. These well-known figures and many other less-famous folks have found a way to thrive with ADHD.
- Paris Hilton: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Paris_Hilton_(6883787136).jpg
- Michael Phelps: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Michael_Phelps_2009.jpg
- Karina Smirnoff: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Karina_Smirnoff_2013.jpg
- Howie Mandel: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Howie_Mandel_at_the_39th_Emmy_Awards.jpg
- Ty Pennington: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ty_Pennington_2.jpg
- Zooey Deschanel: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Zooey_Deschanel_@_Virgin_Music_Festival_01.jpg
- Justin Timberlake: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Justin_Timberlake_Cannes_2013.jpg
- Hahn, L. Q&A with Deborah Phelps, Mom of Swimmer Michael Phelps. Good Housekeeping. Retrieved June 7, 2013 from http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/family/inspirational-people/deborah-phelps-interview.
- Celebrity Dancer, Karina Smirnoff, Speaks Out for the First Time on How ADHD Has Impacted Her Life (2009, 16 Sept). PR Newswire. Retrieved June 14, 2013 from http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/celebrity-dancer-karina-smirnoff-speaks-out-for-the-first-time-on-how-adhd-has-impacted-her-life-62186832.html.
- Interview (2010, 7 Oct). The Ellen Show. Retrieved June 14, 2013 from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTK5_-37r3A.
- Crafternoon with Zooey D. (2011, 20 June). Hello Giggles. Retrieved June 14, 2013 from http://hellogiggles.com/crafternoon-with-zooey-d.
- Richard Branson in TED / Dyslexic / ADHD / ADD. (2007, 22 Oct). YouTube. Retrieved June 14, 2013 from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XQcdVp9sls.
- Justin Timberlake Interview – THE LOVE GURU. (2008, 16 June). Collider.com. Retrieved June 14, 2013 from http://collider.com/entertainment/interviews/article.asp/aid/8221/tcid/1.
- CNN Larry King Live, Interview With Paris Hilton. (2007, 27 June). CNN. Retrieved June 14, 2013 from http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0706/27/lkl.01.html.
- 'Revolution' Host Ty Pennington Talks Lifelong Battle With ADHD. (2012, 21 Feb). The Huffington Post. Retrieved June 7, 2013 from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/21/ty-pennington-the-revolution-adhd_n_1292059.html.
- Attention-deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Data & Statistics. (2013, 13 May). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Retrieved June 14, 2013 from http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/data.html.