Yellow Split Pea Soup
Published February 22, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
This delicious soup doesn't take long to prepare, and when it's done, you'll have a dish that's perfect as a side or main.
|Serving size:||approx. 1 1/2 cups|
|Calories per serving:||118|
|Total Fat 2.8g||4%|
- 6 slices turkey bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups yellow split peas
- 2 (10 oz.) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
Step by Step:
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon and wipe pan clean.
- Place back over medium heat and spray with vegetable cooking spray.
- Add onion, leeks, and carrot and cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until peas are tender and start to break down, 45 to 50 minutes.