Published May 2, 2014 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
This colorful and flavorful dish packs in the nutrients, and the goat cheese adds a delicious creaminess.
Cooking tip: Pre-crumbled goat cheese doesn't melt as easily as fresh goat cheese. So if you're looking for a little creaminess, use two 3-ounce logs of fresh goat cheese.
|Serving size:||Approx. 3/4 cups|
|Calories per serving:||499|
|Total Fat 16.0g||25%|
- 1 pound rigatoni pasta
- 1/2 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 pounds broccoli florets
- 1 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- 2/3 cup water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (5-ounce) package goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Step by Step:
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, saute sausage in olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked halfway. Add onions and continue cooking until sausage is fully cooked and onions are tender. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Drain oil from skillet.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat. Add broccoli, red pepper and water to skillet. Cover and cook 2 minutes. Remove cover and cook until water is evaporated and the broccoli florets are tender.
- Toss pasta and broccoli mixture together just until combined. Sprinkle goat cheese evenly over top and serve with lemon wedges.