Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
Published February 1, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Try this healthy twist on an old favorite that everyone can enjoy.
|Serving size:||3/4 cup filling; 1 bun|
|Calories per serving:||140|
|Total Fat 4.4g||7%|
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (12 oz.) frozen imitation meat crumbles*
- 1 (8 oz.) can no-salt added tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. prepared mustard
- 8 (2-oz.) buns, toasted and split
Step by Step:
- Cook onion in hot oil in a large non-stick skillet for 5 minutes or until it just starts to brown.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in meat crumbles and next 6 ingredients; cook over medium heat 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Spoon about 3/4 cup meat mixture between each bun. Serve immediately. *For testing purposes only, we used BOCA Crumbles Made with Natural Ingredients.