Tuscan-Style Tuna with White Beans
Published January 31, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
This classic Italian dish is not only delicious it's healthy too! By rinsing and draining the beans twice, you remove a large portion of the sodium found in tinned beans.
|Serving size:||Approx. 2 cups|
|Calories per serving:||357|
|Total Fat 5.0g||8%|
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans low-sodium cannelloni beans
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 pound fresh tuna, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Basil leaves to garnish
Step by Step:
- Drain beans into a colander and rinse. Allow beans to drain and then rinse again. Set aside.
- Heat the orange juice in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until onions have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine and vinegar and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Add tuna, beans and minced basil. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for approximately 7 minutes or until tuna is just cooked through.
- Season to taste with freshly cracked black pepper. Garnish with basil leaves.