Tofu Vegetable Kebabs
Published May 14, 2014 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
If you haven’t tried tofu yet, it’s time that you did! The USDA’s MyPlate guide encourages diners to enjoy a wide variety of lean proteins, and tofu fits the bill. It’s low in fat, free of cholesterol, and wonderfully delicious when seasoned with a punchy Asian marinade.
Cooking tip: Allergy warning: This recipe contains soy.
|Serving size:||1 – 1 ½ skewers|
|Calories per serving:||179|
|Total Fat 10.8g||17%|
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 package extra-firm tofu, rinsed, drained, and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch squares
- 8 white mushrooms
- Cooking spray
Step by Step:
- Combine the soy sauce, lemon juice, mustard, and ginger. Add the vegetable oil in a slow and steady stream, whisking continuously. Add the tofu and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours, tossing occasionally.
- Thread the tofu and vegetables onto metal or wooden skewers, alternating pieces of tofu, onion, pepper, and mushrooms. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Grill the tofu and vegetable skewers over medium heat until tender (about 5-8 minutes), turning occasionally to ensure even cooking.