Summer Chicken and Vegetable Soup
Published March 15, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Chicken soup isn't just for winter evenings and fighting the flu -- it's also a great showcase for fresh summer vegetables like tomatoes, peppers, and squash. Serve with a light green salad for a weekday dinner.
|Serving size:||approx. 1 1/2 cups|
|Calories per serving:||180|
|Total Fat 3.5g||5%|
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 4 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Step by Step:
- In a large saucepan sprayed with vegetable cooking spray, sauté onion until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and thyme and cook 4 minutes.
- Add the stock and bay leaf and bring to a boil; add chicken and bring back to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until chicken is just cooked. Remove and set aside.
- Add carrot and bell pepper to simmering broth and cook for 5 minutes or until carrots are tender. Add the zucchini and simmer 3 minutes more. Stir in the lemon zest and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Shred chicken and add to soup just before serving.