Spicy Stuffed Tomatoes
Published February 14, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
These little gems are the perfect party food! Tiny and tasty, they pack just the right kick of spice. Stuffing them with quinoa is a healthy way to add in protein without the meat.
|Serving size:||3 tomatoes|
|Calories per serving:||188|
|Total Fat 7.7g||12%|
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Cubanelle pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Handful parsley, chopped
- 8 oz. Mexican Queso pepper or jack cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 36 small tomatoes (about the size of golf ball)
Step by Step:
- Cook quinoa according to package directions, stir, and allow to cool. While the quinoa is cooking, slice the tops of the tomatoes off and carefully scoop out the insides. Sprinkle the interior liberally with sea salt and invert onto a plate to drain.
- Sauté the Cubanelle pepper and garlic in olive oil. Salt to taste. Allow to cool, then mix with the cooked and cooled quinoa. Add in the parsley, cheese, paprika, and onions. Taste and season with salt. Stuff into the hallow tomatoes and serve immediately or cover tightly and refrigerate and serve within a day.