Spicy Bean Burgers
Published February 8, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Yummy fresh, easy to make spicy bean burgers, these taste great as burgers, in wraps or even as entrees.
|Serving size:||2 burgers|
|Calories per serving:||290|
|Total Fat 17.7g||27%|
- 4 ounces boiled kidney beans
- 5 small/medium potatoes
- 1 tbsp parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 small red onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 small red chilli (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Step by Step:
- Chop the potatoes into 2" cubes, put into a saucepan and boil until soft.
- Heat the olive oil on medium heat. Meanwhile chop the kidney beans in half. Add the finely chopped onion to the oil and allow them to soften before adding the garlic and red chilli. After 2-3 minutes add the kidney beans, peppers and parsley. Once mixed in well remove from the heat.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them in a large bowl. Add the paprika, salt, lemon juice, chilli powder, black pepper and mixed herbs to the potatoes and mash them together. Once the spices have been mixed well add the cooled kidney bean mixture and again mix well to complete the burger.
- Heat a flat bottomed pan on medium to high heat with a tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Separate the filling into 14 balls. Sprinkle some flour onto a clean surface. Take a ball, flatten it in the palm of your hand and cover all sides with the flour. Place the burger onto the hot pan, turning after 10 minutes. Once turned drizzle a little more oil onto the pan around the patties. After 7-10 minutes remove from the pan and enjoy in bread, wraps or a salad.