Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs
Published January 31, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Substitute traditional pasta (and the carbs that come with it) for this delicious alternative that goes perfectly with turkey meatballs.
|Serving size:||1 cup squash, 4 meatballs, 1 cup sauce|
|Calories per serving:||392|
|Total Fat 18.8g||29%|
- 1 (3 lb.) spaghetti squash
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. salt-free Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
Step by Step:
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove and discard seeds. Place in a lightly greased roasting pan. Add water to depth of 1/2-inch.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until tender. Let cool slightly and scrape pulp from squash into a mixing bowl using a fork.
- Stir together ground turkey and next 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Form into 16 (about 1 3/4-inch) meatballs. Place on a wire rack fitted over a foil-lined jelly-roll pan. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes, or until done.
- Cook onion and next 3 ingredients in hot oil in a large skillet for 15 minutes, or until tender. Stir in wine and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in basil and cooked meatballs. Serve over spaghetti squash.