Southwest Chicken and Rice
Published March 15, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
This recipe features chicken breasts seasoned with cumin and served with spicy Southwestern rice. This one-dish dinner is not only a crowd-pleaser; it's also low in calories and fat.
|Serving size:||1 chicken breast and approx. 3/4 cup rice|
|Calories per serving:||347|
|Total Fat 2.8g||4%|
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Cooking spray
Step by Step:
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan, and stir in rice and red pepper. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in beans and tomatoes; keep warm.
- Sprinkle the chicken with cumin salt and black pepper. Heat a large grill skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken; grill 4 minutes on each side or until done. Serve chicken with rice mixture.