Simply Sublime Tomato Sauce
Published February 8, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Make this sauce only when you have truly ripe tomatoes and an excellent olive oil on hand. Because the sauce only has three ingredients, each one needs to be the best you can find.
|Serving size:||1/2 cup sauce|
|Calories per serving:||303|
|Total Fat 8.6g||13%|
- 2 pounds spaghetti
- 1/4 cup excellent olive oil
- 4 fat cloves garlic, peeled and sliced thin
- 4 medium very ripe tomatoes, chopped
Step by Step:
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Pour in half the olive oil in a large sauce pot or wok, add in sliced garlic, and set over medium heat. Allow to heat up slowly. Have the tomatoes chopped and ready. When the garlic becomes very fragrant (just barely golden), add in the tomatoes. Place a pound of pasta (preferably spaghetti) into boiling water, stir, and bring back to a boil.
- Bring the sauce up to a simmer uncovered and season with sea salt to taste (you may need to add more). When the pasta is 1 minute from being done, scoop 3/4 of a coffee mug full of the pasta water and pour into the sauce. Bring the sauce back to a strong simmer and drizzle in remaining olive oil. Drain pasta well and scoop into the sauce. Turn and coat evenly, allowing the pasta to absorb the sauce. Let stand for 1 minute.