Rustom Rice

Rustom Rice

Published February 22, 2013 | Written by

Published by: Healthline Exclusive

Servings: 4
Total Time: 60 min

Prep Time: 30 min | Cook Time: 30 min


Rice is the staple diet in most Indian households, but it can be a real challenge to cook it differently each time. Rustom rice can be prepared in a jiffy, so you need not restrict this brilliant recipe for those special occasions only. Transform boring plain rice into something more appealing and yummier.

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1 cup
Calories per serving: 174
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5.0g 8%
Saturated Fat 0.7g 4%
Sodium 294mg 12%
Total Carbohydrate 28.9g 10%
Protein 3.2g 4%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.


  • 10 ounces Basmati long grained rice, thoroughly washed and soaked for 30 minutes
  • 1 large onion, peeled and sliced into rings
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 3 cloves
  • 2 cardamoms (green)
  • 1 large cardamom (Black)
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper corns
  • 3 cashew nuts
  • 3 almonds, peeled and sliced into thin pieces
  • 3 to 5 strands Saffron, soaked in1 teaspoon of warm milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon sunflower oil, olive oil, any vegetable oil, or ghee

Step by Step:

  1. Heat ghee or oil in a shallow pan. Add the whole spices like bay leaves, pepper corns, cinnamon, cardamoms, and cloves. Quickly add the onion rings and sauté for 3 minutes. When onions start taking on a golden hue, add the sugar and mix well for 30 seconds. Add water soon after and cover the pan with an airtight lid to permit boiling of water.
  2. When water begins to boil over nicely, add the pre-soaked rice after draining off the excess water. Add salt and Saffron and mix thoroughly. Cook the rice on medium flame. When rice is about 85% cooked, switch off the flame and replace the lid. Ensure that no steam is released, as the remaining 15% of the cooking needs to be done in this accumulated steam. This will take at least 10 more minutes.
  3. Fry the almonds and cashew nuts in 1/2 teaspoon of ghee and add to the rice as garnishing. Serve hot with any curry of your choice or curd and pickles.