Published February 8, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
This is a quick and easy popular curry in Northern India. Serve Rajma with plain boiled rice, naan bread, or alternatively it makes a great veg chilli on jacket potatoes with sour cream!
|Serving size:||1/2 cup|
|Calories per serving:||109|
|Total Fat 4.0g||6%|
- 1 can of red kidney beans
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger julienned
- 3 cloves of minced garlic 1 large tomato chopped
- 1 fresh green chilli chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Chopped coriander to garnish
Step by Step:
- Drain the kidney beans in a colander, rinse with fresh water and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot add the cumin seeds and the pinch of asafoetida. When they stop sizzling, add the onions and fry until they are either soft or translucent. Next add the ginger, green chillies, and garlic and fry for 2 minutes. Then add the tomatoes, turmeric and garam masala powders and cover the pan for 5 minutes.
- Now add the red kidney beans, allow to fry for 3 minutes, then add 1 1/2 cups of warm water, salt to taste and cook till beans are cooked through (approx 10 minutes).
- Mash some of the beans roughly to thicken the gravy. Garnish with coriander and serve piping hot!