Quick and Easy Tortilla Soup
Published February 25, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
When made with roast chicken, this Latin American classic is naturally very low in fat. Save yourself some time and buy a roasted chicken from the deli counter at your local supermarket.
|Serving size:||approx. 1 1/2 cups|
|Calories per serving:||234|
|Total Fat 4.1g||6%|
- 9 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno peppers, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 1 lime
- 2 cups baked tortilla chips, lightly crushed
- Sliced radishes
- Sliced cabbage
- Lime wedges
Step by Step:
- In large Dutch oven or stockpot, bring broth to a simmer. Add onions and next 4 ingredients and bring back to a simmer. Cook uncovered, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove and discard skin from chicken. Pull meat from the bones, discarding bones. Roughly chop meat into bite-sized pieces. Add to simmering broth. Squeeze juice from the lime into the broth and simmer 5 minutes, or until chicken is heated through.
- Place 1/2 tortilla chips in each bowl and top with soup. Serve immediately.