Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake
Published January 31, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Soft pumpkin puree is naturally sweet and great for baking, as it allows you to use less fat and sugar than you would in other desserts. Enjoy this coffee cake for breakfast or for a snack.
|Serving size:||1 square|
|Calories per serving:||168|
|Total Fat 1.8g||3%|
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (canned or homemade)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (optional)
Step by Step:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8x8 baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and salt. Mix to combine and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine beaten egg, milk, pumpkin puree, oil, and brown sugar.
- Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture a little add a time, being careful not to over-mix. Stir just until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the edges of the cake are golden and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely, then dust with powdered sugar through a sieve, if desired. Cut into squares and serve. Cake may be served warm or at room temperature.