Pumpkin Curry Soup
Published March 13, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Canned pumpkin has many more uses than just pumpkin pie. Here it's mixed with tart green apples (like Granny Smith) and seasoned with a spicy curry. Check the pumpkin label carefully to make sure you're not getting pumpkin pie mix.
|Serving size:||approx. 1 1/3 cups|
|Calories per serving:||171|
|Total Fat 3.4g||5%|
- 4 tart green apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin puree
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
Step by Step:
- In a large Dutch oven or stockpot sprayed with cooking spray, cook onion over medium-high heat until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add apples and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in curry powder and cumin and cook 30 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, or until apples and onion is tender.
- Puree soup in batches in a blender until smooth.
- Return to heat and bring back to a simmer. Serve hot.