Mixed Vegetable Pulao
Published February 22, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Rice cooked with colorful vegetables is an instant hit with both vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. Its mouth-watering aroma originates from the whole spices used in this recipe. This is a recipe that can be cooked quickly when you are short on time. It can be served either as a main dish or as a side dish and tastes best when eaten with raita.
|Serving size:||approximately 5 ounces|
|Calories per serving:||87|
|Total Fat 0.3g||0%|
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sticks (1 inch each) cinnamon
- 4 brown cardamoms
- 5 cloves
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch long strips
- 1/4 pound French beans, cut diagonally into 3-inch long strips
- 1 cup green peas, shelled or frozen
- 3 cups raw Basmati rice (washed and drained)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves, chopped
Step by Step:
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds, bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamoms, and cloves. Stir for a few seconds or till the cumin seeds and other spices are roasted, giving a specific aroma.
- Add carrots, beans, and peas. Stir fry for about 2 minutes. Add washed and drained rice. Keep stirring occasionally and fry the rice till it turns opaque (about 5 minutes). Add salt and water. Stir to mix the salt completely.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes over medium-high heat or until all the water is absorbed and the rice is fully cooked.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with raita.