Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
Published January 31, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
An excellent source of protein, quinoa is a filling and nutritious grain perfect for lunch or a light dinner. Add in any vegetables you have on hand--grain salads like this one are a great way to use up leftovers.
|Serving size:||about 1 1/2 cups|
|Calories per serving:||488|
|Total Fat 14.6g||22%|
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, minced
- 1 1/2 cup chickpeas (canned or dried and cooked)
- 1/4 cup fat-free feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
Step by Step:
- Rinse quinoa through a sieve under cold running water. Add quinoa and 3 cups of water to a saucepan and bring to a boil on the stovetop. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 25 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed and quinoa is tender.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork and set aside to cool. Once cool, add cucumber, bell pepper, olives, chickpeas, and feta.
- In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, lemon juice, and cumin and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour dressing over quinoa and vegetables and stir to combine, distributing the vinaigrette evenly.