Mackerel Fry with Gravy
Published February 15, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Fish is very good for heart health and it is recommended by medical professionals to be eaten at least twice a week. Fish is usually fried or prepared as curry. But this recipe is a surprise twist to the ordinary fish fry and combines it with tasty and spicy gravy.
|Serving size:||1 cup|
|Calories per serving:||201|
|Total Fat 13.3g||20%|
- 5 Baby Mackerels; thoroughly cleaned
- 1 large onion; peeled and chopped
- 1 Tomato; chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger; finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic; finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder;
- 1 teaspoon of Fish Masala
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves;
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil
Step by Step:
- Take a small bowl and make a paste of 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 2-3 drops of olive oil. Blend all the ingredients nicely and now apply this paste to all the 5 fishes on both sides. Take a large frying pan and add 1/2 tbsp of olive oil to it. When the oil is sufficiently heated, add the fish one by one to the pan. Fry them for 5 minutes, changing sides often. Ensure that the fishes do not get deep fried and stiff. Keep the fried fish aside in a plate.
- Now take a shallow pan or large Kadai and add the remaining olive oil to it. Heat it for 2 minutes on high flame. Add mustard seeds when oil is quite hot and allow them to crackle well. Now add the chopped onions, ginger and garlic and sauté well for 2-3 minutes. When onions turn golden brown, add the remaining turmeric powder and fish Masala and mix well. Blend the chopped tomato in the blender and make a nice thick paste. Ad this paste to the ingredients in the pan and mix well. Maintain a low flame and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- When the oil begins to separate from the sides of the pan, add the water and allow to boil well. The gravy should be thick and not too watery. Add the fried fishes to the gravy and cook for another 2 minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Garnish with the chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or Rotis.
- Serve chilled.