Italian Wedding Soup
Published February 8, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
This classic wedding soup is too good to just have during special occasions. Thick with hearty meatballs, escarole, and pasta, all you need is a piece of crusty whole grain bread to make a meal.
|Serving size:||approx. 1 1/2 cups|
|Calories per serving:||370|
|Total Fat 9.5g||15%|
- 1/2 lb. extra-lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb. ground turkey
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup Italian-seasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 5 cups escarole, thinly sliced
- 2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
Step by Step:
- Place first 7 ingredients in a large bowl and mix gently with your hands. Form into 1/2 to 3/4 inch balls and refrigerate until needed.
- In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, bring broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Add carrots and cook 5 minutes. Add escarole, orzo, and meatballs and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through and pasta is tender.