Italian Style White Bean and Kale Soup
Published January 30, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Try this fun soup with an Italian twist. It's great as a side dish or main meal no matter where you are.
|Serving size:||1 1/2 cup|
|Calories per serving:||278|
|Total Fat 17.3g||27%|
- 1 lb. dried white beans
- 8 cups water
- 3 oz. pancetta, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup uncooked mini shaped pasta*
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Step by Step:
- Rinse, sort, and drain beans. Place beans in a large Dutch oven and water. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain, reserving beans.
- Cook pancetta in large Dutch oven over medium heat 3 minutes, or just until crisp. Stir in onion, carrots, and celery. Cook over medium heat 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender; add garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in broth, rosemary, kale, and beans. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 11/2 hours or until beans are tender. Stir in pasta and next 3 ingredients. Cook 6 minutes, or just until pasta is tender.
- Drizzle each serving with 1 Tbsp. olive oil. *For testing purposes only, we used DaVinci Alphabet pasta.