Published January 30, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Delicious homemade falafel inside warm pitta bread with lettuce and mint sauce, easy to make, fun to eat!
|Serving size:||4 falafel each|
|Calories per serving:||276|
|Total Fat 15.9g||24%|
- 4 cups cooked chickpeas, mashed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1-inch gingerroot, minced
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1 tsp. chives
- 1 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 3 pieces of brown bread
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- Salt to taste
Step by Step:
- Finely chop the ginger and garlic and place in small bowl. Add in the fresh thyme, rosemary, chives, salt, turmeric, chilli powder and cumin to the bowl and mix well. In a grinder pulse 2 slices of bread until they're crumbs. Mix the bread crumbs, mashed chickpeas and garlic mixtures together.
- Pulse the final slice of bread, empty the crumbs onto a plate and set aside. Now take a tablespoon full of the falafel mixture in the palm of your hand and roll it into a ball, flatten the ball, and coat all sides in the breadcrumbs. There should be roughly 30 balls.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan, fry each falafel on low to medium heat for 8 minutes or until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve 2 falafel cutlets inside 1/2 a pitta bread with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and mint or tzatziki sauce.