Hearty Vegetable Lentil Soup
Published March 8, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Thick with hearty root vegetables, this chunky soup is great for a quick meal on a cool evening.
|Serving size:||approx. 1 1/2 cups|
|Calories per serving:||203|
|Total Fat 0.8g||1%|
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 turnip, scrubbed and diced
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 dash reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
Step by Step:
- Spray a Dutch oven with vegetable cooking spray and place over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and next 5 ingredients and cook 10 to 12 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add wine and cook until wine reduces by 3/4 . Add lentils and next 5 ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered about 30 minutes.
- Add thyme and cook 5 minutes more. Serve hot.