Hearty Beef and Beer Chili
Published March 15, 2013 | Written by The Healthline Editorial Team
Add fresh or preserved green chilies to customize this dish to your desired taste and 'heat' preference.
|Serving size:||approx. 2 cups|
|Calories per serving:||529|
|Total Fat 10.7g||16%|
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 pound extra lean minced beef
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (10 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1-3 finely chopped fresh (or preserved) green chilies
- 1 (14 ounce) can no-salt added kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can low-salt: beef stock
- 1 (12 ounce bottle) lager beer
- Garnish: Lime wedges, coriander leaf, fat-free sour cream, baked tortilla chips
Step by Step:
- In a large soup pot coated with cooking spray, sauté onions and bell pepper over medium-high heat 3 to 4 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add minced beef and garlic and cook 5 minutes, stirring to break up chunks, or until beef is no longer pink; drain off any fat.
- Add chili powder, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and green chilies and remaining ingredients except garnishes. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Serve with garnishes.